Sunday, December 26, 2010

Boxing Day

I thought Boxing Day was about boxing up leftovers for the servants who had given up their Christmases. According to Wikipedia, I'm wrong. Well, there's a first time for everything.

I'm currently watching the TV, listening to the workers rip my bathroom apart, and giving myself a manicure. Also munching on some Cheetos. Nasty, but oh so yummy!

I've been giving some thought to resolutions, since this is the season for such things. I'm never very good at keeping my resolutions, even the super easy ones. I've looked back over previous years' resolutions and the only thing I can say I've done consistently is get up early. I'm up at 4:00 every weekday, and usually 6:00-6:30 on weekends. Of course, it's not for the betterment of my soul, as I had hoped. It's because that's my schedule. Living in Upland and working in Burbank, I have quite a commute. Weekends are early because when you get up at 4:00 during the week, 6:00 IS sleeping in!

I think I just resolved to get an iPod, so I can carry some meditations & meditation-assisting music, for the train commutes. That should be a good use of a 1.5 hour commute.

I definitely want to be more creative. I've started blogging again, and I think I can do this more regularly. Let's say, blogging once a week? I'm pretty sure I can do that. Plus, with babies, weddings, vacations, work situations and my own re-budding creativity, I should have plenty to blog about on a weekly basis. I can also make the commitment to myself to journal 5-7 days a week.

I want to also write more poetry, and finish my short story this year. I've been working on that thing since college! I think it's time I finished it. I give myself the whole year to do it.

I want to learn to knit - yet another thing I can do on the train, plus it's a great way to make heartfelt, handmade gifts for my loves. You can all expect scarves and whimsical beanies next Christmas!

I keep saying it, but it's true: I want to create a meditation routine. I would benefit so much from it, in innumerable ways. But I continue to get lazy and let the routine lapse. I am praying for some assistance with the will-power this year, to keep things like that going. I know once my body and mind get used to the routine, I will notice the absence of it, rather than having to force myself to do it.

I think that's a good start. What are your resolutions for 2011?

No comments: